Shrimp in Coconut Sauce
– 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
– 1 tablespoon fish sauce
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– ¼ teaspoon sea salt
– 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 pound medium uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
– ½ cup chopped onion
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 cups chopped asparagus
– 2 cups chopped mushrooms
– 2 cups cooked rice
– ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
– Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add shrimp and cook until pink, about 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
– Add onions and garlic to skillet; cook 2 minutes, stirring, until fragrant. Add asparagus and mushrooms and cook 2 minutes, until slightly browned. Return cooked shrimp back to skillet and add coconut milk mixture; bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
– Serve over cooked rice and topped with fresh cilantro.
– Because of the abundance of vegetables in this dish, few sides are necessary to complete the meal. Serve it over rice and with a glass of dry, fruity white wine to complement the delicate flavors of the sauce.